Do positive affirmations really work? Can they help us to be more focused and optimistic? Yes to both of those questions. And, saying a positive affirmation is especially important upon waking up each morning.
What are affirmations?
Affirmations are positive statements that reinforce positive thoughts and attitudes. They’re usually said in the present tense first person (e.g. I, me, myself, etc.) and they’re often most effective if you can say them in front of a mirror. Positive affirmations really do work and they can do wonders for getting us motivated and focusing our thoughts on the positive — they’re a vital factor in “the law of attraction,” in which we shape our thoughts and mind-set to attract good things to our life.
The primary reason you want to do positive affirmations in the morning is because your mind is just coming into alert mode and it’s at this critical time that, if not careful, negative thoughts can creep in — you’re still tired, the weather is yucky, you don’t like your job, etc. — all of these limiting thoughts/feelings can throw you into negativity without realizing it. So, focusing your mind and thought process onto the positive is vitally important in the morning and positive affirmations can do just that.
After you open your eyes each morning, before doing anything, consciously affirm positive things/thoughts — spend 1-2 minutes repeating one, or even a few affirmations to yourself or, out loud in front of the mirror if that’s possible.
1. “Today, I will be happy, confident and successful.”
2. “I am feeling positive, healthy and strong today.”
3. “Today is a good day! I am happy, strong and positive!”
4. “I am excited to wake up on this new day and I will experience this beautiful life with happiness in my heart.”
5. “Feeling confident, secure and strong, is a normal part of my everyday life and I have all that I need to make this a great day.”
6. “I am and always will be good enough, smart enough and strong enough.”
7. “I reject all negative feelings about myself and my life, and I consciously accept all that is good.”
8. “I am happy and content with my life and grateful for all that I have.”
9. “I will be patient, calm and in control of my feelings. I greet this day with serenity in my mind and my body.”
10. “Thank you! I am filled with love, gratitude and kindness for another day on this earth.”
11. “I have the power and ability to create all the success and prosperity I desire.”
12. “I’m in control of my life and I let go of stagnant, negative beliefs that have stood in the way of my happiness.”
13. “I am courageous. I am confident. I am worthy. I like who I am!”
14. “My life is an adventure and every day, I discover new and interesting paths to pursue.”
15. “I am focused on my goals and feel passionate about my life and my work.”
16. “The universe is filled with endless opportunities for me and I pursue them with purpose and vigor.”
17. “Today, I choose to think positively and I create an amazing and successful life for myself.”
18. “I am a strong, confident individual and I consciously attract success and happiness.”
19. “I am energetic, enthusiastic, confident and happy.”
20. “I banish all self-doubt from my mind and I embrace hope, optimism and compassion.”
21. “Today, I abandon all of my old, negative habits and will passionately take up new, more positive ones in their place.”
22. “My thoughts do not control me — I control my thoughts and today, my thoughts will be free, happy and positive.”
23. “Today I will be kind and compassionate. I embrace love and reject anger and hatred.”
24. “I want love to rule my heart and on this new day, I determine to be happy and content.”
25. “Good morning world! I’m here and I’m happy and I will share that happiness with everyone I meet.”
“Positive thinking is powerful thinking. If you want happiness, fulfillment, success and inner peace, start thinking you have the power to achieve those things. Focus on the bright side of life and expect positive results.” ―
You also may want to come up with your own affirmations, because they can often be the most powerful. Affirmations can be whispered, said aloud or said silently in your head. The key is to be consistent in using them and to believe in them — use your inner power to give them life and that positivity will manifest itself in wonderful ways.
“When you expect the best you release a magnetic force in your mind which by a law of attraction tends to bring the best to you.” ― Norman Vincent Peale