Do positive affirmations work? Can they help us to be more focused and optimistic in our daily life? The answer is a resounding “yes!” to both of those questions. During this difficult time, positive affirmations are a particularly powerful tool.
What are affirmations?
Affirmations are positive statements that reinforce the optimistic thoughts and attitudes we need in our life. Positive affirmations are typically said in the present tense first person (e.g. I, me, myself, etc.) and some believe they’re most effective if you can say them in front of a mirror. Positive affirmations really do work and they can do wonders for motivating us and getting our thoughts oriented toward the positive — they’re a vital factor in “the law of attraction,” in which we shape our thoughts and mind-set to attract good things to our life.
“When you expect the best you release a magnetic force in your mind which by a law of attraction tends to bring the best to you.” ― Norman Vincent Peale
The primary reason you want to use positive affirmations in the morning is because your mind is just coming back into alert mode and it’s at this critical time that we want to center our mind-set on the good and not the bad. So, focusing your mind and thought process onto the positive is vitally important in the morning and positive affirmations can help to do just that.
After you open your eyes each morning, before doing anything, consciously affirm positive things/thoughts — spend 1-2 minutes repeating one, or even a few affirmations to yourself or, out loud in front of the mirror if that’s possible. Here are some you can try and once you’re used to using affirmations, you can of course create your own:
1. “Today, I will be happy, confident and secure.”
2. “I am feeling positive, healthy and strong today.”
3. “Today is a good day! I’m happy, strong and safe!”
4. “On this day, I will experience this beautiful life with happiness in my heart.”
5. “Feeling confident, secure and strong, is a normal part of my life and I have all that I need to make this a great day.”
6. “I can handle the stress of the times. My heart is filled with love and my faith sustains me.”
7. “I reject all negative feelings and I consciously accept all that is good in life.”
8. “I will not let stress get me down. I’m in control of my life and I choose peace and happiness.”
9. “I will be calm and in control of my feelings. I greet this day with serenity in my mind and body.”
10. “Thank you! I am filled with love, gratitude and kindness for another day on this earth.”
11. “I have the power and ability to create all the peace and resiliency I desire.”
12. “I’m in control of my life and I reject negative beliefs that have stood in the way of my happiness.”
13. “I am courageous and I am strong. We will get through this storm and we’ll be all the better for it!”
14. “My life is good and every day, I discover new and interesting paths to pursue.”
15. “Today, I choose to think positively and I create an amazing and happy life for myself.”
16. “I am a strong, confident person and I consciously attract success and happiness.”
17. “I banish all self-doubt from my mind and I embrace hope, optimism and compassion.”
18. “Today, I abandon all of my old, negative habits and passionately take up new and positive ones in their place.”
19. “My thoughts do not control me — I control my thoughts. Today, my thoughts will be free, happy and positive.”
20. “Good morning world! I’m here and I’m happy and I will share that happiness with everyone I meet.”
“Positive thinking is powerful thinking. If you want happiness, fulfillment, success and inner peace, start thinking you have the power to achieve those things. Focus on the bright side of life and expect positive results.” ―
Positive affirmations are meant to bolster our optimistic mind-set. While we’re all struggling with the plight of the world right now, we can still be positive thinkers. Try these or your own positive affirmations to help strengthen and uplift you.
“You have within you right now, everything you need to deal with whatever the world can throw at you.” ― Brian Tracy