The vicious circle of pettiness and vindictiveness is a dangerous one. Once caught up in this whirlwind of endless retaliation, one is unlikely to ever be free of the resulting damage it does to the mind, body and spirit. In essence, its a perilous way to live life.
We are seeing an alarming rise in “tit-for-tat” politics across the world, but particularly in the U.S. When once that mentality was confined to the politicians themselves, it has now spilled over onto the people and the toxicity it causes is leaving fractured relationships in its wake.
A friend forwarded me a post that was floating around Facebook just after the election and it has caused me a good deal of unease. Here is that post making the rounds on Facebook:
Here is my issue with the whole, “let us all be a United States again” that we heard from Joe Biden.
For the last 4+ years, the Democrats have gone scorched earth. You have salted the fields and now you want to grow crops. The problem is 72+ million of us have memories longer than a hamster.
– We remember the women’s march (vagina hats and all) the day after inauguration.
– We remember the 4 years of attacks and impeachments
– We remember “not our president” and the “Resistance…”
– We remember Maxine Waters telling followers to harass us in restaurants.
– We remember the Presidents spokesperson being kicked out a restaurant.
– We remember hundreds of Trump supporters physically attacked.
– We remember Trump supporters getting Doxed, and fired from jobs.
– We remember riots, and looting
– We remember “a comedian” holding up the President’s severed head
– We remember a play in Central park paid with public funding, showing the killing of President Trump
– We remember Robert de Niro yelling “F” Trump” at the Tony’s and getting a standing ovation.
– We remember Nancy Pelosi tearing up the State of the Union Address.
– We remember the total in the tank move on the mainstream media
– We remember the non-stop and live fact checking on our President and his supporters.
– We remember non-stop in your face lies and open cover-ups from the media.
– We remember the President and his staff being spied on.
– We remember five Senators shot on a ballfield.
– We remember every so-called comedy show turn into nothing but Trump hate fest.
– We remember 95% negative coverage in the news.
– We remember the state governors asking and getting everything they ask for and then blaming Trump for their problems.
– We remember a Trump top aid verbally assaulted in two DC restaurants.
– We remember people banging on the Supreme Court doors.
– We remember that we were called every name in the book for supporting President Trump.
– We remember that Hollywood said they would leave after Trump was elected but they stayed.
– We Remember the Boycott of Trump’s Inauguration in 2016.
This list is endless, but you get the idea. My friends will be my friends, but a party that has been on the attack for 4 long years does not get a free pass with me!
I have no idea who wrote this drivel, nor do I want to. In my opinion, they’re trapped in a cesspool of darkness, negativity and hypocrisy.
We see a great many “we remember,” in the above missive, but apparently, the author has a short memory and a great deal of sanctimony in his/her words. And who is this “we” the author speaks of? Reading this, one can legitimately then ask:
– Do you remember spreading the rumor the Clinton’s hung crack pipes from the White House Christmas Tree?
– Do you remember starting and spreading the rumor Hillary Clinton was a witch? How about the one that she runs a child trafficking ring out of a pizza parlor in Washington DC — oh, and that she sometimes eats those children?
– Do you remember posting pictures of Michelle Obama that were photo shopped to make her look like an animal?
– Do you remember comparing Valerie Jarrett’s looks to a monkey?
– Do you remember the lies Donald Trump started that Barack Obama wasn’t a citizen? Do you remember spreading that lie?
– Do you remember spreading the lie that Barack Obama was a Muslim who was bringing Sharia law to the U.S?
– Do you remember calling for the execution of Nancy Pelosi? Who by the way, is an 80-year-old grandmother.
– Do you remember January 6th, when “patriots” stormed our capitol and had plans to “arrest”/kill Democratic members of Congress?
– Do you remember when Donald Trump got on the phone with China’s premier and begged him to help him win re-election?
– Do you remember when Donald Trump cleared people out of a park with force so he could have a staged photo op while holding the Bible?
– Do you remember when during a nationally televised political debate, president Donald Trump told the “Proud Boys,” to “stand by.”
– Do you remember when our security agencies informed Trump that Russia had bounties on our soldiers in Afghanistan…and he ignored it?
– Do you remember when Russia carried out the most dangerous hack into our computer systems and Trump did nothing?
– Do you remember when Donald Trump met with nefarious characters to discuss putting the nation under military command…simple because he legitimately lost his re-election?
– Do you remember all the pre and post election attacks on Joe Biden and his family? How about the “Sleepy Joe” and “China Joe” attacks? How about the attacks on his son? Do you remember the horrific things said about Kamala Harris?
– Do you remember the rightwing launching brutal attacks on Jill Biden, or their calling into question her legitimate and earned right to use the title Doctor?
I can continue, but we’d be here a very long time, because we could do the same comparison for every presidential administration in our great nation’s history.
Does the author of this facebook post remember the lies and vitriol directed at other presidential administrations? If not, they’ve just been given a very quick reminder of just a few of the things “they” did and said.
The cold hard truth is, politics is dirty and rumors and outright lies have been told by members of both parties for as long as anyone can remember. Take recent history: When Regan was President, Democrats attacked him. They did the same when Bush was elected. Then, the Republicans attacked Clinton…then the Democrats attacked Bush Jr…then the Republicans attacked Obama. It’s become a harsh pattern of never being the bigger person — of never letting go of the anger and bitterness.
I’m offended by the tirade above because its reeks of pathetic victim hood — a whiny, hypocritical and indignant pity party. If we continue on like this, where does it end? When do we move on and say “enough is enough?” Republicans are guilty of outright lies and smear campaigns and they eat it up and willingly spread those lies. But you know what? So do the Democrats.
No one who subscribes to the vengeance approach this post puts forth can ever truly be happy — and that’s not opinion, it’s fact. Did your classmate pull you hair in 2nd grade? Did your co-worker eat your lunch? Did a guy steal your parking space? Did someone once tease you or tell you to “shut up?” Should we hold grudges and seek revenge against anyone who has ever offended or slighted us? Were we to meet them again, should we verbally attack them because they were once mean to us? If we embrace that approach to life, can you imagine how awful life would be?
Yes, things were said about Donald Trump and some of them not so nice. But, ever hear him talk? He’s not exactly a Boy Scout. Sure comedians made fun of him…but they make fun of every president. Is the author of this pity post so overly sensitive that they’re willing to overlook the mean and terrible things Donald Trump has said and done, just to be able to paint him as some kind of weak victim? If you ask me, that’s pathetic.
If we adopt the mentality the post author has, we’d all be attacking each other every single day. Life would be one vicious cycle of retaliation and it would be a miserable existence. Move on. Let it go. Be the bigger person. Look in the mirror. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Walk a mile in his shoes. Put on your big boy pants. There are countless phrases that sum it up quite fittingly: don’t hold grudges, let go of anger and hatred and life will be absolutely beautiful.
No one who approves of the tone and implicit meaning of that Facebook post can claim to be a “good person” or a “positive person” — I’m sorry, but it’s just that simple. Good, positive people don’t hold petty grudges and they certainly aren’t as blatantly hypocritical as the author of that post. Happiness, contentment and peace come when we let go of our anger and jealousy and we embrace love, compassion, understanding and forgiveness. Again, not an opinion, but a fact.
“Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.” ―
“Not forgiving is like drinking rat poison and then waiting for the rat to die.” ―
“Let today be the day you stop being haunted by the ghost of yesterday. Holding a grudge & harboring anger/resentment is poison to the soul. Get even with people…but not those who have hurt us, forget them, instead get even with those who have helped us.” ―