It’s another new year and that means, another chance at peace, harmony and happiness. As we say goodbye to 2020, most of us will think “good riddance!” But did we not learn much from this past year?
2020 was tough — I mean really tough — and we have great hope for 2021 to be a better year…and I hope and pray it is! But I think there is much we can learn from 2020. For example:
- People matter. Feelings matter. That is a fact.
- Change happens, whether we like it or not — the key is, what is our attitude about the change?
- There are a lot of good, strong and kind people out there. Likewise…
- There are an awful lot of selfish, delusional people out there.
- We must try to enjoy life every single day.
- Happiness is not something we find, but rather, is something we embrace, because it’s really right in front of us.
- Kindness matters. Kindness matters. This is such an important one, it bears repeating.
- The simple things in life are often the most valuable: peace and quiet, love, compassion, generosity…you know, the little things 😉
- Find interests other than talking on our cell phone or surfing social media. 2020 showed us that we were caught off guard on many levels — we forgot how to live without tweeting and posting. Find hobbies and interests that help you focus, relax and grow.
- Politics is toxic. 2020 saw an explosion in political dysfunction. What we need to learn from this is that “we the people” are in charge and we must put an end to the petty, divisive BS our political leaders have created.
Lead into 2021 with a new attitude: Embrace hope, kindness and generosity. Be patient, calm and tolerant. Love more. Help more. Give more. Make 2021 the year we make truly positive changes in this world. This collection of quotes about fresh starts in a new year are sage words and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do:
“Do not wait until the conditions are perfect to begin. Beginning makes the conditions perfect.” – Alan Cohen
“Let our New Year’s resolution be this: we will be there for one another as fellow members of humanity, in the finest sense of the word. – Goran PerssonBe at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.” – Benjamin Franklin
“Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, ‘It will be happier.’ – Alfred Lord Tennyson
“We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day.” — Edith Lovejoy Pierce
“Take a leap of faith and begin this wondrous new year by believing. Believe in yourself. And believe that there is a loving Source – a Sower of Dreams – just waiting to be asked to help you make your dreams come true.” – Sarah Ban Breathnach
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.” – George Eliot
“Take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly, and try another. But by all means, try something.” — Franklin Roosevelt
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” — C.S. Lewis
“New Year’s Day. A fresh start. A new chapter in life waiting to be written. New questions to be asked, embraced, and loved. Answers to be discovered and then lived in this transformative year of delight and self-discovery. Today carve out a quiet interlude for yourself in which to dream, pen in hand. Only dreams give birth to change.” – Sarah Ban Breathnach
“For last year’s words belong to last year’s language and next year’s words await another voice.” – T.S. Eliot
“Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all.” – Emily Dickinson
“You do not find the happy life. You make it.” — Camilla Eyring Kimball
“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.” – Albert Einstein
“Don’t live the same year 75 times and call it a life.” – Robin Sharma
“New year—a new chapter, new verse, or just the same old story? Ultimately we write it. The choice is ours.” – Alex Morritt
“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
“What the New Year brings to you will depend a great deal on what you bring to the New Year.” – Vern McLellan
“The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.” – Melody Beattie
“I choose to make the rest of my life the best of my life.” — Louise Hay
“Enter this new year with a gratitude for this new chance to create your dreams.” – Avina Celeste